The safeguarding of Estonia's security and welfare, as well as the promoting of Estonia's interests in the world, by planning and implementing the nation's foreign policy and co-ordinating its foreign relations.
- Estonia's foreign policy is active and directed at achieving and strengthening of democracy, stability, safety and welfare in Europe, as well as elsewhere in the world.
- Estonia is a reliable and trustworthy partner in the EU, NATO and in other international organisations, as well as in bilateral relations.
- The Foreign Ministry is able to react without delay to changes occurring in the world and to ensure the flexibility as well as readiness of the organisation for the necessary alterations.
- The Foreign Ministry is a recognised and efficient developer of Estonia's foreign policy and the co-ordinator of the European policy.
- The Foreign Ministry is an active, competent and appreciated supplier of services and information to other governmental authorities, co-operation partners, enterprises, citizens and the general public in Estonia, as well as in foreign countries.
- Estonia is well known in the countries, regions and organisations that have direct effect on its security and welfare, and takes care of the formation of its image.
- The Foreign Ministry, including foreign missions, has been developed in accordance with Estonia’s foreign, security and economic policy interests, has an optimum size and operates efficiently. Sufficient resources have been allocated for achieving the goals of the activities of the Foreign Service.
- The Foreign Ministry is an employer with a good reputation, well known for its professional, mission-minded, collegial and well-motivated staff, for its interesting work and for its up-to-date work environment.
We do not represent ourselves only. We represent our organisation, state and nation. Our personal inner as well as outer dignity is extended to everything that is connected with Estonia and Estonians. We realise and bear that responsibility.
We proceed from the principles of ethics in everything we do. For us, the uniform standards of ethics are not the upper, but the lowest margin in evaluating the ethicality of our activities.
We must see the details, as well as a wider picture and perceive, which activities help to achieve our goals more efficiently. Our resources are limited. We must always first do the right things and only then do things the right way!
A small state, small nation and a small organisation will be able to keep step with the bigger ones only if something is done more efficiently, often also in a different way, implementing for it one’s knowledge and creativity. We are open for innovation coming from outside and we ourselves solve problems innovatively as well.
We will not recognise the saying "it has always been done that way...". Every day and at every activity we look for the possibilities, how to do better, quicker and more efficiently. We are not afraid of making proposals and we appreciate also the initiative of others!
We are all different. That will not separate us from one another, but make us a colourful team. We will respect each other's differences in our thoughts, as well as actions, if those contribute to the development of the Estonian foreign policy and ministry.
Changes occurring in the world and problems needing solution are complicated. An individual, a single organisation or a country is not able to resolve them. For that reason we are open and co-operate between ourselves, as well as with other organisations and countries.
We are ready to help each other with advice, as well as with deeds even if it does not emanate directly from our employment duties. We will do all we can so that people approaching us would get an answer to their questions and their problems resolved, or, if that is not possible, we will refer those in need of help to other competent bodies.