Estonia to Start Accession Talks with IEA
18 October (BNS)
On 18 October Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications Juhan Parts will start talks in Paris regarding Estonia's accession to the International Energy Agency.
The IEA is an autonomous organisation established in the framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the world's leading body in fuel market analysis and oil stockpiling regulation, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications said.
Parts will make a speech at the biannual ministerial summit of the agency and have a meeting with executive director Maria van der Hoeven. As part of the accession talks the IEA will draw up overviews of Estonia's energy policy and energy sector and the preparedness of the fuel market for emergencies, the ministry said.
Only OECD member states can be members of the IEA. The prospect of entry into the IEA has been taken into account in Estonia's state energy development plan up to 2020 that was adopted in 2009, which sets out a time frame for adopting IEA rules that is a precondition for accession.
In addition to Estonia, Chile will also start entry negotiations. Estonia lodged an application for opening accession talks on 11 August. The IEA has at present 28 members including 19 European Union member states. The organisation also works with non-member states, primarily major energy producers and consumers such as China, India and Russia and with OPEC member states.
- Foreign News
- Foreign Minister Urmas Paet Met with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili
- Integration with EU, Situation in Occupied Territories Discussed in Meetings with Georgian Officials
- President Ilves Focuses on Euro Area Crisis During Finland Visit
- Foreign Minister Urmas Paet Recognised Moldova’s Progress in Implementing Reforms for EU Integration
- Eight Moldovan Diplomats to Attend Training Course in Estonia
- Prime Minister Ansip Met With International Monetary Fund Representatives
- President Ilves: EU Budget Must Be Fair
- Estonia Helping Victims of Floods in Pakistan
- Estonia to Start Accession Talks with IEA
- Domestic News
- Defence News
- Economic News
- Cultural and Sports News
|ESTONIAN REVIEW (ISSN 1023-1951) is issued by
the Estonian Foreign Ministry's
Public Diplomacy and Media Relations Department
|ESTONIAN REVIEW is compiled in co-operation with the|
Baltic News Service www.bns.ee and Estonian Public Broadcasting news.err.ee