Foreign Minister Urmas Paet Met with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili
At his meeting in Tbilisi today with President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili, Foreign Minister Urmas Paet discussed Georgia’s integration with NATO and the situation in the occupied territories.
Foreign Minister Paet noted that Estonia supports Georgia’s efforts to achieve NATO membership in accordance with the decisions made at the Bucharest summit. Paet stated that in order to meet its goal Georgia must continue making the necessary reforms and intensify co-operation with NATO.
At the meeting, Paet confirmed Estonia’s support for Georgia’s territorial integrity and non-recognition policy. “Important factors are the work of the European Union Monitoring Mission (EUMM), the restoration of the OSCE mission, and the continuation of the Geneva talks,” said Paet. “The effective implementation of the strategy for the occupied territories would restore trust and co-operation between residents of the occupied areas, the Georgian authorities, and Georgian society,” he added.
At his meeting with President Saakashvili, Foreign Minister Paet also talked about Georgia’s constitutional reform and the parliamentary elections taking place in 2012. “The transparent organisation of the parliamentary elections next fall is essential, as it would confirm that Georgia is a trustworthy adherent to democratic values,” said Paet.
- Foreign News
- Foreign Minister Urmas Paet Met with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili
- Integration with EU, Situation in Occupied Territories Discussed in Meetings with Georgian Officials
- President Ilves Focuses on Euro Area Crisis During Finland Visit
- Foreign Minister Urmas Paet Recognised Moldova’s Progress in Implementing Reforms for EU Integration
- Eight Moldovan Diplomats to Attend Training Course in Estonia
- Prime Minister Ansip Met With International Monetary Fund Representatives
- President Ilves: EU Budget Must Be Fair
- Estonia Helping Victims of Floods in Pakistan
- Estonia to Start Accession Talks with IEA
- Domestic News
- Defence News
- Economic News
- Cultural and Sports News
|ESTONIAN REVIEW (ISSN 1023-1951) is issued by
the Estonian Foreign Ministry's
Public Diplomacy and Media Relations Department
|ESTONIAN REVIEW is compiled in co-operation with the|
Baltic News Service www.bns.ee and Estonian Public Broadcasting news.err.ee